- BA – Cell and Molecular Biology, University of California San Diego 1987
DVM – University of California Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine 1996
- Internship – North Carolina State University 1997
- Residency – University of California Davis 1997 – 1999
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Small Animal Internal Medicine) 2000
Memberships / Affiliations
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Dr. Spann was a practitioner in private practice in the Sacramento area for 22 years, first as a large specialty referral practice, then in solo practice for the last 8 years before moving to the Pacific Northwest in 2022.
Dr. Spann has a particular interest in infectious and immune-mediated disease, endocrinology, gastroenterology, respiratory and zoonotic diseases. He has lectured locally, nationally, and internationally on a variety of topics including endocrinology, sepsis, and hospital-acquired infections.
Emerging Infect Diseases (CDC) 2020 Aug;26(8):1882-1884. Leishmania infantum in US-Born Dog. Marcos E de Almeida, Dennis R. Spann, Richard S Bradbury. Infectious Diseases of Dogs and Cats (multiple chapters), Weese and Evason eds. Leukocytosis and Leukopenia, Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Eds. Ettinger, Feldman and Cote, 8th ed. Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Polyphagia, Stunted Growth, Ist and 2nd eds.
When not working, Dr. Spann enjoys gardening, yoga and exercising, reading history, and spending time with his wife Cindy and human and pet family.